November 23, 2009

Cookies and stew


I've been collecting recipes like crazy — actually printing them out instead of just bookmarking them — but have been cooking very little. We've been eating out much more than usual, and that always seems to dampen my cooking urges. Unfortunately, we haven't been very happy with the restaurant food we've been sampling except for one place. We really enjoyed our brunch at Wayward Café, and tried to go there two other times without checking their hours, only to find it closed. You'd think all these unpleasant restaurant experiences would inspire me to cook more, but it's not happening. Maybe I'm saving my food-cooking energy for Thanksgiving, or maybe I'm just in a rut.

Last night there was nothing planned for dinner when our son and daughter-in-law extended a last minute invitation to come to their house.

Our d-i-l was making Buckwheat Stew With Tofu and Kale from Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian," which they had just borrowed from the library along with "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar," by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romaro. She didn't have the right kind of buckwheat so she made the stew with farrow, instead, and it was absolutely delicious — rich and satisfying. The white things that look like potato pieces are actually whole cloves of stewed garlic — soft, fragrant, and tasting like it was roasted in the oven. Kale is one of my favorite vegetables, and this recipe really showcased its winning qualities. I wish I had some right now.

For dessert we had Peanut butter oatmeal cookies from the above mentioned cookie-invasion cookbook. These were some of the best peanut butter cookies I've tasted, with excellent texture and crunch. I think I ate four. Tsk.

.......................................................................

Animal, Vegetable, Miserable
by Gary Steiner

Have you seen this Op-Ed piece in the Sunday NY Times? It's pretty unusual to see such a blatantly unapologetic essay on the moral wrongness of killing animals for human needs, in the mainstream press. Take a look.

.......................................................................

Have a HAPPY and HEALTHY THANKSGIVING!

9 comments:

  1. You sold me with "whole cloves of garlic." I will have to try that recipe! I have that book but haven't made a ton of things from it yet. The book is so big that it's overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that garlicky kale dish looks heavenly. I love greens season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cookies and stew look and sound wonderful! I love kale, I should check that book out soon.

    P.S. I'm the same way, printing out recipes like crazy but never cooked anything from them and dine-out/take-out 2-3 times a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kiersten,
    That book IS overwhelming, but the stew really did taste great, and the garlic cloves were delicious.

    Diann,
    I think I could eat greens every night.

    Oraphan,
    Yes. It's easy to print the recipes out, harder to cook them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great- cookies yum!
    Debra @ Vegan Family Style
    ps. check out the new giveaway on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got Bittman's book but have never tried that stew--it looks great and I'm going to look it up (kale is also one of my faves).

    Thanks for the article link--nice to read something so incredibly articulate and well written on the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debra,
    The cookies aren't raw but so delicious!

    Ricki,
    I've looked at Bittman's book and was tempted to buy it but haven't, yet. Is it worth it?

    You're welcome for the article. If you have a chance you might want to see the responses it generated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I just wanted to thank you for posting the link to that article in the NYTimes--I hadn't seen it, but it pretty much sums up everything I have been feeling since becoming vegan 2 years ago. It really is a great read!

    I just discovered your blog--it is so fun! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mihl,
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from the cookie book.

    Monica,
    Thanks so much for your comments and for reading the blog. I agree with you that the Op-Ed piece was a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!