January 28, 2015

Sweet Designs Chocolatier


You all know that bloggers are offered lots of products and books to review. I think I ignore about 85 percent of the offers that come my way, for one reason or another, selecting only the ones I find most interesting, or I think would be interesting to readers. I don't get paid to do them, and they take a fair bit of time to do them well. I was about to turn down a recent offer when I stopped to think about it. It was chocolate — organic, gluten-free, vegan chocolate from Sweet Designs Chocolatier. And, I wasn't even asked to write a review — just to try the chocolate. What would you do?


I received three samples — a 17-piece dark chocolate assortment, and two four ounce containers of 70% dark chocolate bark. The assortment contained chocolate truffles, coconut truffles, coconut clusters, date power squares, molded almonds and more. A gift box like this would make a great impression on your favorite vegan, and, you know, Valentine's Day is fast approaching. I was quite taken aback by the variety and beauty of the pieces, and the creamy smoothness of the fillings.
 


I've very much enjoyed sampling the delicious chocolates in the assortment, especially the chocolate truffles, but my favorite sample is definitely the puffed quinoa bark. Woof!


To be perfectly honest, while I love to gaze upon such a beautiful assortment, I prefer my dark chocolate relatively unadorned. The puffed quinoa adds the perfect amount of crunch to the 70% dark chocolate. It complements without competing, and the rich, smooth, dark chocolate flavor is the star. I could easily become addicted to it. I think I will share all of the varieties but this one. It's mine.


I also received a packet of 70% dark chocolate trail mix bark. The trail mix contains zante currants, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and cacao nibs. For me, the sweet taste of the currants interferes with the bitter taste of the chocolate, though I suspect most people would disagree with me, and find it complementary.

Sweet Designs Chocolatier, from Lakewood Ohio, is not an all-vegan company, but their 70% organic dark chocolate varieties are vegan. The soy lecithin used in the chocolates is non-GMO. I don't know if their chocolate is fair trade. Have you ever tried Sweet Designs chocolates?

Disclaimer: I received the chocolates for free. I wasn't asked to review them. All opinions are my own.

12 comments:

  1. Who could turn down chocolate! I've never tried their chocolate but I will now if I see this brand around. They look very well made, indulgent and perfect for gift giving (well a gift to myself included!). I love dark chocolate too but I do enjoy a nice truffle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even going to say how many I ate. :)

      Delete
  2. Of COURSE I would accept chocolate to try! I like most kinds..the truffles sound especially good.
    Nice to know the soy is non-Gmo. I feel bad that I don't pay especial attention to whether or not the chocolate I buy is fair trade, but I think by default, when I check, most of it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually check for GMOs but often forget about fair trade. Like you, though, the brands I usually buy are fair trade. And GMO free.

      Delete
  3. No need to twist my arm to try out those fabulous looking chocolates! I haven't heard of that brand before but I can easily see myself ordering a box of the assortments for a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really a beautiful assortment, and delicious, too! But my heart still belongs to the quinoa crunch.

      Delete
  4. I would have thought about this for about a millisecond - and definitely have accepted very quickly. That box looks full of exciting things. I would have been so all over the truffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truffles are creamy, light and delicious! Love them.

      Delete
  5. i got some too and they were delicious! my review will go up in a couple of days... I really enjoyed these a lot. And, like you, I said Yes! to this offer right away! Sometimes I get offers to try out new power bars or protein powders, and I can lag a little in responding to those emails. But I wrote back within in minutes to Sweet Designs! ha ha. I have some priorities, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm looking forward to your review! Weren't the candies in the assortment pretty?

      Delete
  6. Me either, I don’t respond to them unless they are interesting - I receive about 5-10 review inquiries a day - it’s frustrating. What a lovely and beautiful gift box for Valentine’s Day - I would love to try the coconut clusters or date power squares - they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it takes too much time to write reviews so it has to be an interesting product. If the Sweet Designs people contact you, ACCEPT!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!