December 03, 2007

Red lentil soup



What could be easier than a simple soup of red lentils. The leftover roasted sweet potatoes in the fridge will add a rich, sweet taste, and some cauliflower cut in small pieces will add nutrition. Just me tonight and I want enough for dinner and lunch tomorrow.

Red Lentil Soup

I rinsed a cup of red lentils and put them into a 1-1/2 quart enamaled cast iron pot with the leftover, roasted sweet potato (about a cup), a small, whole hot pepper, the cauliflower (about a cup) and a minced clove of garlic. I filled the pot halfway with water and brought it to a boil then turned it down to the lowest simmer, covered the pot and went to hang out with the dog. I came back about an hour later to a creamy pot of cooked soup. I added a little water as it was kind of thick. I added some salt, fresh ground pepper and a dash of umeboshi vinegar for tang to balance the sweetness. And I removed the pepper. It tasted great with a piece of homemade toasted bread.

2 comments:

  1. Love sweet potatoes with hot peppers in stews! I mistook jalepeno for pablano once, and now always taste a minute sample of the chili pepper before adding to get a sense of its heat. I mean, a VERY tiny sample, without it touching lips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this sounds good.... I will try it!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!