January 30, 2008

Norman's chickpea snack



At a recent cooking class we made a chickpea snack that involved cooking, baking, frying and heavily seasoning chickpeas with cayenne and salt. The result was tasty, but it reminded me of a simpler and less salty and oily chickpea snack that my father used to make.

My mother believed that a good breakfast was eggs and bacon or cereal and milk, lunch was a tuna or egg salad sandwich, and dinner included meat and a salad and sometimes a frozen or canned vegetable like string beans or peas. My father didn't like chicken or fish so we had those things on nights he wasn't home for dinner. Meals rarely deviated from this formula unless we pleaded for spaghetti or for my father to make one of his two or three dishes. My mother seemed to have an aversion to legumes and noodles. Occasionally my father would become nostalgic for something his mother had made when he was a boy (my mother would become very annoyed) and might venture into the kitchen. He missed whole grain bread (!) and other "exotic" foods from his youth like chickpeas and macaroni. We ate white bread at our house and my mother would proclaim whole grain breads to be "horrible," but I was intrigued. I liked the things my father cooked. I was tired of meat. Chickpeas were interesting, and I happily ate them.



When I left home and moved to another city, I visited the local farmer's market out of curiosity, and my eyes were opened to the wonders of the vegetable world. "What's this?" I would ask as I held a zucchini aloft. "That's a zucchini," the bemused farmer would answer. "What do you do with it," I'd inquire. With a chuckle, the patient farmer and his wife would give me a cooking lesson. I think I learned to cook at the farmer's market.
When my husband and I became vegetarians, my parents were alarmed. When we chose to raise our children as vegetarians they were horrified, but as they watched these beautiful, healthy children grow, their fears subsided. And as they ate at our house and hosted us at theirs, their attitude towards food changed, and they became much more open and adventurous in their cooking and eating habits. Chickpeas became one of my mother's favorite foods to cook for us when we visited. But, I'm going back in time to when my father used to prepare one of his favorite chickpea dishes that he remembered his mother making. Now, I am presenting a vegan food that I learned to cook from my father! It's such a simple but delicious dish.



My father's chickpea snack
Rinse and drain two cups of canned or home-cooked chickpeas. In a cast iron or other heavy skillet, or a wok, heat two tablespoons of olive oil and add the chick peas. Sprinkle generously with paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chick peas start to brown and get a little crispy. (about 10 minutes) Remove from the heat, drain on a paper towel if you wish, and sprinkle with a little salt and lots of freshly ground pepper, or, as always, with the seasonings of your choice.

A funny thing: I cooked the chickpeas and my husband and I were sitting at the kitchen table enjoying them and reminiscing about my late father and my grandmother when I suddenly shreiked, "STOP!." We'd made a considerable dent in the beans when I remembered I'd prepared them for the blog, and I'd forgotten to take a photo. So the photo you see is only some of the chickpeas—there were more.

note: To cook chickpeas in a pressure cooker: Sort and wash the beans. Place in the pressure cooker and add water to about two inches above the beans. Bring to pressure then turn off the burner. Let the beans sit for an hour. (You can let them sit longer if your schedule requires it.) Add more water and bring to pressure again and cook for one hour. When the pressure comes down, the beans should be cooked. The liquid that remains can be used to make excellent soup stock or to cook rice or other grains.

12 comments:

  1. I made these last night and put them on top of quinoa with roasted potatoes, green beans and corn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chickpeas are one of my favorite legumes to make meals out of. I have been looking for a way to make them in to a snack and this recipe seems to fit the bill. Thanks for posting...I can't wait to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Melissa. My late father learned to make this dish from his mother, and we enjoyed it at our house when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi every person,

    I identified cookeasyvegan.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

    I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://calearnnewthings.info/bookmarks].[/url][url=http://whatsnewtodaywl.info/forum].[/url][url=http://trendytopicsjo.info/forum].[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I know this was posted a long time ago...but I just wanted to let you know that I love love love this idea! I added a little garlic powder and cayenne pepper...they turned out fabulous! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome. I think it's my late father who should be thanked — or maybe my grandmother! Thank YOU for leaving such a nice comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to give it a look.
    I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm book-marking
    and will be tweeting this to my followers! Wonderful blog and
    amazing design and style.
    Feel free to surf my website ; Diets that work

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love chickpeas. They are one of the few legumes I eat. This recipe sounds fabulous and I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father used to make these because his mother made them. Now I make them, and my kids do, too. Ironically, chickpeas are the one legume my granddaughter will eat.

      Delete
  10. Exactⅼy that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!