November 15, 2009

Stuffed squash / squash muffins

Those gorgeous winter squashes are just so hard to resist, sitting there all colorful and shapely in bins and boxes at farmers markets and coops. There's a growing collection of squash at our house that we know we should use, but no one wants to cut up. Cursing to myself is not uncommon whenever I try to open a winter squash, and knives have been known to break in the process. I think the cook's friendliest squash is delicata - it's not only sweet and delicious, it opens without a fight. Delicata doesn't store well, though, and the time had come to use ours. The squashes were all split, cleaned and baked until tender, and several were stuffed with the filling for Harvest-Stuffed Acorn Squash from "The Vegan Table" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. (I got the cookbook for my birthday.) This dish was just as tasty as the other recipes we've tried from "Vegan Table," but really, this post isn't about stuffed squash. It's about finding a delicious use for leftover squash ...

It's about MUFFINS — soft, spicy, sweet, yummy, warm, fragrant muffins. I hate to brag about my own muffin recipe — it's so unattractive — but these were really irresistible. I've had three, so I should know.

I wanted to base the muffins on a gingerbread recipe I used to make, but when I realized my favorite gingerbread recipe hadn't made it to Seattle and was back in the Midwest, and I wouldn't be able to use it as a guide, I started looking for a replacement. But I couldn't find just what I was looking for. I wanted to make muffins with leftover squash, and spice them with fresh ginger. I also wanted to try the coconut oil I just bought (to make tuilles), but wanted to keep the fat to 1/4 cup. I also wanted to keep the amount of sugar fairly low. I worked out the proportion of liquid to dry and here's the result:

Gingery spice muffins
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
  • 6 tablespoons water
  • 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (stir well before measuring, spoon into measuring cup and level with knife)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder (non-aluminum)
  • 1/4 cup organic virgin coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh, finely grated ginger (I used a microplane), don't skimp
  • 1/2 cup mashed leftover squash or canned pumpkin
Preheat oven to 350˚F • lightly oil 12-cup muffin pan
  1. In a small bowl, mix together the flaxseed and 6 tablespoons water. Set aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, whisk in (or use a wooden spoon) the orange juice concentrate and additional 1/4 cup water.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda and baking powder.
  3. In a large bowl, with a wooden spoon, beat together the coconut oil, sugar and agave until combined and kind of fluffy. (takes about a minute) Mix in the grated ginger. Add the flax mixture and thoroughly combine.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Gently stir and fold until well-combined. Do not over-mix.
  5. Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until done. Turn out onto a rack to cool. Enjoy warm or cool.

11 comments:

  1. Mmmm....delicata is my second favorite winter squash, after spaghetti squash :-) Those muffins look and sound divine! Thank you for sharing!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photo of your stuffed squash!!! It looks just like a dish served in the restaurant, Bravo!!!

    Those muffins also look and sound so amazing! I love squash and pumpkin, I'll definitely give this recipe a try. I've never bought coconut oil, I think it's time for me to add it to my grocery list. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe, Andrea:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to use delicata, acorn, and small butternut squash in the winter. They are much easier on the knives! Your filling looks delicious!

    Love the muffin recipe too, especially the use of fresh ginger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney,
    We had spaghetti squash for dinner tonight, and I like it a lot. I think my favorite squash is butternut.

    Oraphan,
    I've never been to Bravo, but if they serve squash like this, I'd like to go! This was my first use of coconut oil and it worked great, but I'm a little nervous about how saturated it is.

    Diann,
    All our "easy" squash are now gone, and I suppose we'll have to tackle the kabocha. Or buy more butternut and delicata! Fresh ginger in muffins is a favorite of mine, especially paired with orange or lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, I love squash any way you serve it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melisser,
    Me, too. But there's something about putting it in a muffin that brings out its charms to the max!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That stuffed squash looks really beautiful! I am a bit jealous of all the great squashes you are able to find. But I think Germany is slowly catching up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll echo your other readers: that squash is a beauty! Would you believe I've never cooked delicata? I must remedy this situation asap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mihl,
    We have a close-by farmers market that is a great source of squashes. Sometimes I see some I've never seen before, and I want them just because they look so cool!

    Mary,
    Yes, you must! It not only tastes great, it's easy to cut! It works well in desserts since it's so sweet and relatively dry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm one of those people who eats squash more in baked goods than on its own, so of course the muffins sound great to me! But the baked squash--well, there's something I haven't tried and now must!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ricki, I think I like squash best in baked goods, too. Sometimes they seem almost too sweet to eat as a vegetable. I do like them stuffed with a savory filling, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!