April 30, 2008

nutty linzer cookies

Yesterday, a co-worker brought cookies to work but I couldn't have one because she had added butterscotch chips to the recipe and it wsn't vegan. Ironically, she had started with a vegan recipe and made it not vegan. This was perfectly fine - I'm not much of a sweet-eater or a snacker, and if I do snack, it's usually on something like nuts or pretzels. I especially don't find sweets appealing in the morning. (Currently, I'm most likely to snack on pistachios.) However, the cookies were very interesting looking in a healthy kind of way, and in spite of their healthy appearance, they were receiving very positive feedback from everyone who was sampling them. Healthy cookies that people like? This was a recipe worth tracking down. I got the recipe from Jen, and traced the original to this Web site where they're called, "energizing linzer cookies." My version (based on ingredients on hand and personal preference) is below. I made 21 cookies, some with raspberry jam and some with chocolate chips. The chocolate chips didn't melt as I expected them to, but they tasted good. The raspberry filled cookies were much prettier and I preferred them. The cookies are sweet, but the jam I used, organic sugar-free raspberry jam from Trader Joes, was actually a bit tart, providing an unexpected but pleasant contrast. Unfortunately, I ate too many.

Nutty linzer cookies
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup toasted, unsalted almonds
  • 1/2 unsalted walnuts
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 cup agave syrup (or maple syrup)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • raspberry jam
  • chocolate chips
  1. Place oats, almonds and walnuts in a food processor and process until crumbly. Add flour and flax and pulse until mixed. Add oil, syrup and vanilla and pulse until mixed and dough forms.
  2. Form into balls (wet hands help) and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
  3. Press a depression into each cookie with your finger.
  4. Place some jam or chocolate chips into each depression.
  5. Bake at 350˚ for 14 minutes.
P.S. I was much too stingy with the jam and chocolate chips because I was afraid they would bubble up and ooze over the sides. Next time I make these - and there will definitly be a next time - I'm going to load up that jam and stuff in those chips. Jen says I should fill up the jam and put chocolate chips around the edge. Maybe I will.

6 comments:

  1. I've seen Linzer cookies around on the Internet lately--never tried them but I'm thinking now's the time. (And of course the addition of chocolate never hursts. . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first try at making them. I hadn't noticed them before Jen brought them to the office, and I probably wouldn't have made them if I hadn't seen them in person. I would have decided they had too much fat! Maybe they do but...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I just made vegan linzer cookies with homemade jam--but mine were not nearly as healthy. Yours look like they could double as power bars. I will add this to my list of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybelles mom - I wish I had some homemade jam to make them with - but probably never will! These cookies have a healthy look to them but they taste great. I froze them so I wouldn't eat them all at once and they even taste good frozen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Nutty Linzer Cookies look awesome. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kitchen Buzz,
    Hope you like them as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!