April 09, 2008

Pancakes with blueberry topping

Every once in a while I need pancakes. But does anyone really need another pancake recipe? No, I don't think so, but here's one anyway. I made these without looking at a recipe - no following directions to tax my bleary morning mind - and they are pretty basic. My husband and I both enjoyed the results. You could use maple syrup on your pancakes but I prefer blueberries.

First make the topping. It's basically the same as for the french toast post except this time I measured. Makes about two cups of not-very-sweet topping. (Pour the cold leftovers over your morning oatmeal tomorrow.)

Blueberry topping
1 cup organic apple juice
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
2 teaspoons arrowroot plus 1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Heat juice and blueberries to boiling. Add arrowroot to water and stir to dissolve. Add to blueberries and bubble gently, briefly, until thickened. Turn off heat and add vanilla. I like this on the tart side but adding a tablespoon or two of maple syrup, agave nectar, or rice syrup will punch up the sweetness and enhance the flavor. If you like your topping thicker, use only 3/4 cup juice.

Pancakes - makes about 16 medium
  • 1-1/2 cups soy milk
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 teaspoon sucanot
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  1. Put the soymilk and vinegar into the blender to sit for a minute and curdle. Add the rest and buzz a few times. Scrape down the sides. Don't over-blend or the pancakes could be tough. We don't want that. 
  2. Heat a non-stick griddle until drops of water hiss. 
  3. Pour the batter into 3 or 4 inch pancakes. When the edges begin to look dry and bubbles form on the surface, flip the pancakes and cook briefly until the bottom is golden. (Flours differ in moisture content so you may need to add a bit more liquid to get the right consistency.)

4 comments:

  1. I love pancakes, so, no, you really CAN'T ever have too many pancake recipes! The topping looks fantastic--I love the idea of using it over oatmeal, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I;m going to give these a try. I'm a bit skeptical of pancakes without eggs in them but it's worth a try. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been making pancakes without eggs for years and they turn out great. (Just remember to either stir the flour well or sift it.) My youngest son, however, makes the best vegan pancakes I've ever tasted! Better than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gauri Radha गौरी राधा2/17/11, 10:15 PM

    Those look like the perfect breakfast!!
    (I love blueberries, so I'm biased.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!