November 15, 2008

Cranberry-chocolate chip muffins and Cranberry-ginger corn muffins

I have a muffin recipe that's so old that many of the words are rubbed off and I've had to rewrite them on the back. I use it as a base recipe on which to build variations. The original was not vegan, and I've adapted and changed it over the years. In its current state, it acts as my starting point for whatever muffin I have in mind. I hunted it down when I started thinking about Thanksgiving and the fact that I still have cranberries from last year in the freezer, and I really should use them up before getting fresh ones. The freezer isn't that big but it does tend to become a den of antiquity, if you know what I mean. So I decided to make muffins - and store the extras in the freezer... . In addition to the cranberries, there are chocolate chips, and the combination is even better than I thought it would be. I don't think the extras will be around too long.

This batter is stiffer than most muffin batters but the muffins themselves are tender and light. I've added a touch more sugar than I normally do, to balance the tangy cranberries, but they are still pretty low-fat and low-sugar compared to most recipes. I pop blobs of batter into the tins without worrying about the shape. They look like regular muffins when they are done but with a rough rather than smooth top. The recipe makes 12-15 delicious muffins, depending on how much batter goes into each cup. I tend to fill mine generously because they don't rise that much.

Cranberry chocolate chip muffins
  • two cups white whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • one teaspoon cinnamon
  • one level tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup sucanot
  • one heaping tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate plus enough non-dairy milk to make 1-1/3 cups
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1-1/2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
  1. Put the orange juice concentrate in a quart measuring cup and add enough soy (or other non-dairy) milk to make 1-1/3 cups. Add 1/4 cup oil and mix together.
  2. Stir or sift the flour to lighten it before measuring. In a large bowl, combine two cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well.
  3. Place 1 cup cranberries in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of the flour mix. Buzz a few times until the cranberries are chopped but still fairly big. (You could also cut each one into four pieces by hand.)
  4. Mix the baking powder into the flour mixture.
  5. Add the cranberries and 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the flour and mix well.
  6. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and fold in quickly but thoroughly. Do not over mix.
  7. Fill lightly oiled muffin tins and bake in a preheated 400˚ oven for 18-20 minutes or until done.
Cranberry-ginger corn muffins

Here's a little bonus variation since I still had cranberries left over. These were big, gorgeous cranberries by the way. They were purchased fresh from a grower at the indoor winter farmer's market last year. They looked like glowing jewels, and I was tempted to just let them stay in the freezer a bit longer, but Thanksgiving is just around the corner and it's time for a new crop. These muffins also have crystallized ginger bits for a spicy-sweet bite.
  • one cup white whole wheat flour
  • one cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • one teaspoon cinnamon
  • one level tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup sucanot (evaporated cane juice)
  • one heaping tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate plus enough non-dairy milk to make 1-1/3 cups (I used rice milk)
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-1/2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 cup crystallized ginger bits
  1. Put the orange juice concentrate in a quart measuring cup and add enough rice (or other non-dairy) milk to make 1-1/3 cups. Add 1/4 cup oil, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla and mix together.
  2. Stir or sift the flour to lighten it before measuring. In a large bowl, combine one cup flour, one cup cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well.
  3. Place 1 cup cranberries in a food processor with 1 tablespoon of the flour mix. Buzz a few times until the cranberries are chopped but still fairly big. (You could also cut each one into four pieces by hand.)
  4. Mix the baking powder thoroughly into the flour mixture.
  5. Add the cranberries and 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the flour and mix well.
  6. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and fold in quickly but thoroughly. Do not over mix.
  7. Fill lightly oiled muffin tins and bake in a preheated 400˚ oven for 18-20 minutes or until done.

7 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, I so badly want to know what chocolate + cranberry tastes like! I really must try this recipe. Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just posted a comment but it looks like it didn't go through! (If this is a duplicate, feel free to delete). Anyway, those look very festive for the holidays and sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will totally make these muffins.

    And now I am totally tagging you for a meme. Sorry. I can't help it, and you'll see why. No obligation ....

    http://wingraclaire.livejournal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha--I still have cranberries in my freezer from last year too...and I just bought more! Thank you for these recipes--I need to use up last years cranberries ASAP!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney, Do you also have rhubarb?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore cranberries and chocolate. Both muffins sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No--no rhubarb...I use that up more quickly!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!