July 29, 2009

Edamame hummus

Several weeks ago we attended a fabulous vegan dinner as part of our Madison vegetarian meet-up group. (Although this is a vegetarian, not vegan, group, all the food served is vegan so that everyone in the group can eat it.) It was catered by local chef Jen Gaber, owner of Nutshell Catering. I still remember when Jen, as chef at The Ivy Inn, created a series of Sunday vegetarian brunch buffets, each featuring food from a different region of the world. We spent many happy Sundays lingering over a wonderful meal, pretending it was normal to find fabulous vegan food in Madison. The Ivy Inn is long gone, but Jen is still here, cooking great food.

I knew what the menu included when I signed up for the dinner, but by the time I attended I had no idea what we were having - my memory can be like that sometimes. It was a four course meal and the appetizers were out when we arrived. One of the appetizers was a bowl of green dip that I assumed was made with avocado, surrounded by toasted pita points. When I tasted it, it was kind of hummus-like, but better than regular hummus. It was edamame hummus, and it was delicious. I couldn't quite figure out what was in it, but when I got home, I wrote out a recipe I thought would make a similar dip. A friend visited after work today for a glass of wine and an appetizer, and I finally got to try out my version of edamame hummus — maybe not as great as Jen's, but not bad.

Edamame hummus
  • 2 cups shelled edamame, cooked (I used frozen)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1/4 cup tahini
  • juice of 1 lemon (about 1/4 cup or to taste)
  • 1 teaspoon dried, ground coriander
  • 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt
  • fresh ground black pepper to taste
  1. Sauté the onion for a minute or two until translucent. Add the garlic and cook about 3o seconds.
  2. Place edamame, onion, garlic, tahini and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse until well- combined. It doesn't have to be completely smooth. Add coriander and salt. Pulse to mix. (Taste before adding all the salt as you might not need it all.) Grind pepper over the bowl and pulse to mix.
  3. Serve with veggies, chips, pita or crackers.
Notes:
1. My tahini was kind of weird and thin so everything blended up easily. You may need to add a tablespoon of water if your mix is too thick to process.
2. If you live in the Madison area and need a caterer, you should call Jen Gaber!

12 comments:

  1. I've been dreaming of edamame-guacamole, and now this! A must-try. My memory is like yours sometimes (well, actually, all the time!) ;)

    Sounds like a fabulous event--I'm totally envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've come across edmame hummus a couple times recently and am very interested in trying it out. Maybe topping of gyoza with it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... I love, love, LOVE edamame hummus! In fact, I've been planning to make it this week, and yours looks great!

    Also, that's so cool that you attended a Madison Veg Meet Up. I've never been to one of those, but would love to go sometime. I'd be so interested to see what everyone would bring to share...

    PS If you ever need additional company for an end-of-day glass of wine and appetizer, I'm your girl :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ricki,
    I bet a little avocado would have been really good in this. But, avocado is good in everything, right?

    Tender,
    I tried the Trader Joe's version but didn't like it. It just tasted like regular hummus and was much to smooth.

    jd,
    The meet-ups are great. Some are potlucks, some are at restaurants, some are catered and some are more activity-oriented, like camping or games.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Andrea,

    Thanks for the plug! Your pictures are lovely! I will have to try out your recipe. Mine was similar and also had cayenne, scallions, and some steamed chard from the market that day.

    Glad Dave shared your blog with me. I'm looking forward to doing another meet-up sometime.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen,
    Your welcome, and thanks for your comment. You deserve a billboard for your wonderful cooking! I never would have thought of adding chard, but I wish I'd added cayenne. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea. I always serve edamame the boring way, whole! Check out my version of veggie caviar at http://www.phamfatale.com/id_311/title_Vegetarian-Quinoa-and-Eggplant-Caviar/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jackie,
    I usually serve it whole, too, but I like it that way! This was something different for us, also, and we really liked it. I looked at your veggie caviar and it looks wonderful. I don't use dairy products so I'd have to substitute for the cream - soy yoghurt, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. twoveganboys,
    You're welcome. I hope you have a chance to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that does sound good. how much plain edamame did you eat before you processed it? I'm good at picking in food :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bethany,
    I was good, and most of the edamame went into the dip!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!