April 13, 2016

Quick and easy vegan meals



Coconut and sesame crusted tofu with a side of brussels sprouts and cauliflower makes a nice lunch. The veggies were leftovers and the tofu cooked to order.



The potato was cooked in the microwave and the beans came from a can. You can season the beans any way you like. I used nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Add a side salad and you're set.



We sure do seem to like brussels sprouts. Here are leftover roasted ones with carrots and cauliflower served beside pasta with soy curls.



When I need something fast and tasty I often turn to chickpea flour cakes. I seldom use a recipe, just add this and that. For example, I might use just chickpea flour, leavening and seasonings, or, I might start with 1/2 cup of chickpea flour, then add two tablespoons of hemp seeds, a tablespoon or two of millet flour (or buckwheat flour or ???), 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder, smoked paprika, sage, oregano, salt and pepper. I mix it all together and add enough water to get the kind of batter I'm looking for — thicker for patties, thinner for pancakes. Organic local asparagus was cooked on the griddle next to the cakes for a tasty lunch.



On another day, a slightly different cake was served with broccoli.



I still love making tortillas and with all the herbs growing in the garden, it seemed like a good idea to enhance them by adding herbs to the dough — rosemary tortillas! These were made into tacos with chipotlé chili kidney beans and ginger-mustard cabbage slaw, and served with a side of rosemary-chive asparagus.Has anyone been making tortillas? It's really easy and so delicious. I highly recommend it! To learn more about homemade tortillas, check the links below.

homemade tortillas

tortillas/TacoCleanse

more tortillas-tortilla press

16 comments:

  1. I love simple meals! At the end of the day I usually just want something fast that'll fill me up, and take barely any time to clean up after. I know that's unglamorous for a food blogger, but after writing and reading about food all day I'm usually just too lazy to do anything fancy. (ps. I'm also all about some brussels sprouts!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even food bloggers need some down time. I think I've reached a point that even the food I prepare that looks complicated, probably isn't! Even though I love beautiful and delicious food, I hate being stressed out over super complicated recipes. )Most vegetables are good, but Brussels sprouts are better.) :)

      Delete
  2. This post is truly a breath of fresh air. I feel like there are few realistic blog posts these days about what people are ACTUALLY eating. These meals are inspiring because they look easy, delicious, and well-balanced. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat everything I post about — at least once! But, you are so right about the importance of posting about what we actually eat on a daily basis. Vegan cooking can be very complicated and gourmet, but it has to be down-to-earth most of the time to be sustainable as a full-time diet. Unless, of course, you have a full-time cook. :D

      Delete
  3. how nice. I love quick and simple meals. It feels good to eat this way. The only thing is that I would probably need 6 chickpea pancakes to calm my ravenous appetite! Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Amey, I didn't really show you ALL the pancakes I ate. Just saying.

      Delete
  4. How did you cook the Brussels and cauliflower? I just bought some cauli and have no inventive ways to use it.
    The coconut tofu sounds delicious.
    Also a really brilliant idea with the potato and beans. Our oven hasn't been working for a while now and it's getting frustrating. That loaded baked potato might be the first thing I make when it does again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We almost always roast sprouts and cauliflower in the oven, though sometimes steam or cook in the wok. There are lots of recipes on blogs for buffalo cauliflower and cauliflower steaks that look tempting. Try Cakemaker to the stars blog for buffalo. I cheated and made the potato in the microwave. I don't like using the oven for one potato! Hope you get your oven going again soon.

      Delete
  5. It's always fun to see what other vegans eat as their every day meals. For some reason, I thought brussels sprouts were done for the season. Your post reminds me I should grab some before they're gone for good. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are getting pretty scarce, but I may have saved the photos for a while before using. My posting isn't as frequent as it used to be.

      Delete
  6. I've been loving brussel sprouts lately too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Simple meals are the way forward! I remember eating this amazing coconut crusted tofu on holiday not so long ago, and you've reminded me I need to make some at home - yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had it before making it myself. I was getting something from the freezer, spied the jar of coconut, and decided to coat the tofu in it. It was so good — we should both make some soon!

      Delete
  8. Oh my, honestly everything featured here looks utterly delicious, even the sprouts and I am not keen on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sprouts roasted in the oven with a little olive oil are a whole different vegetable.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!