March 15, 2014

Softer than a pillow, lighter than air — pizza


In honor of pi day and a nagging pizza craving, I finally got around to making an oat-flour-based gluten-free crust I've been ogling since veganmofo.


The crust was pretty easy to make, though it did involve some (optional) rising time since it was a yeast crust. I got the recipe here. The original was topped with tempeh tikka masala, but I just made a regular old pizza with tomato sauce and a quick cashew cheese sauce. And topped it with lots of sliced onion and aleppo pepper. I also added crushed rosemary to the dough.


The crust (focaccia) was just as Richa described it — soft, thick, light and with no resemblance to gluten-free baked goods. But, it was almost too soft and light for me. I kept wishing I had just eaten it plain, as bread, instead of using it for pizza. I was craving something heavier and chewier — more like the toothsome gluten-y crusts I used to make. Sigh. Richa's recipes are great, and this is not meant to slight her lovely crust at all, but I was needing a different texture the day I made the pizza. Next time I'm craving something soft and pillow-y, though, this is the recipe to which I will turn.


The extra-soft texture may have involved user-error because as I studied the step-by-step photos on Richa's blog, her dough looked much softer than mine, so I added a bit of extra water so mine would look more like hers. I'm going to try the recipe again, aiming for a stiffer dough, to see if I get a firmer result. The pie was definitely a beauty, though, and I can assure you I ate every bite. You should try it. A big thank you to Richa for all her inspiring recipes!

Have you ever been disappointed by a cooking result because, even though it was beautiful and tasty, it didn't match what you were craving?

20 comments:

  1. Yummy looking pizza! I don't make pizza at home but I'm always slightly disappointed when the thin crust I ordered isn't quite as thin and crispy as I was expecting. Even tho it tasted fine, it still feels like an itch waiting to be scratched. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pizza is one of those foods that causes cravings, and the pizza has to match the demand! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Healthy! YES YES YES!! Simple goodness!
    Before I became vegan I wondered if I'd have to give up my favorite food pizza. It's been a delight that the answer was no. Can't wait to attempt this.

    Nubianveganess.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheese is often the last stumbling block for many transitioning to a vegan diet, but these days there are lots of options. No deprivation for us!

      Delete
  3. I like my crusts super thin. I am fortunate to not have gluten issues though I do try to eat less gluten in general. Love your choice of toppings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like both thin and crispy and thick and chewy, but thick has really always been my favorite. Before I realized that gluten was my tummy torturer, I used to make the best crusts!

      Delete
  4. Wow, for some reason that over-the-top onion pizza looks really good! And, I would take a soft, pillowy crust any day over one more dense. Looks like a winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'd had broccoli and/or mushrooms in the fridge, that's what would have been on the pizza. But, I LOVED the onions — so sweet and delicious that I may have changed my mind about my favorite pizza toppings. Can't imagine a softer, lighter crust than this one!

      Delete
  5. I would be completely jealous of you right now if I hadn't already eaten pizza for dinner last night. Store-bought, glutenous, lazy-person pizza (with peppers and onions). I'm such a Richa fan too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would be jealous of you! If I weren't afraid of evil stomach distress, I'd be eating a glutenous store-bought pizza too. I think there were a couple of days last week where I ate pizza for three meals a day. I really wanted pizza. :)

      Delete
  6. Oooh nice take on Pi day. I have NOT eaten pizza in a long time and therefore am very jealous. Onions are a great topping choice. Love the spices sprinkled on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a jar of aleppo pepper last time I was at Penzey's and it's now my favorite topping.

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful pizza! And all those onions. I think I need pizza for breakfast. And oat crust sounds pretty great, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would happily eat pizza for breakfast most days.

      Delete
  8. Oh this looks beyond amazing! We are always wanting to try new pizza recipes. this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like trying different pizza recipes, you shoul go to Vegan Richa and look at hers. She's got ore than 30 different ways to make pizza!

      Delete
  9. That looks so good! I must try the crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made it again with a few changes to the crust and different toppings. Pizza seems to be on my mind a lot. :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome. I am glad you made it. It definitely will work to serve up as focaccia. I developed that recipe after requests for a light and airy gf crust. you can make this one with less baking powder and make it thinner. Also, the teff crust is dense and chewy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crust was definitely light and airy! I tried making it again with less starch, and I'll look at the teff crust next.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!