January 08, 2016

Rolo vs. Yolo



We had eight people coming for dinner the day after we returned from a four-day getaway, and I really wasn't feeling like cooking. My husband said he would cook, and I planned to make a dessert, but I wasn't in the mood for cake or pie baking, either. I suggested we have a simple fruit salad for dessert, and my husband agreed. I just couldn't let it go, though. I always make dessert, and I needed a little something that would add a touch of fun to the fruit, without being too taxing. Not that fruit isn't fun and special, but you know what I mean.



I got out my Oh She Glows Cookbook to look for a recipe, and found one for homemade yolos. I didn't know what a Yolo was, but the recipe described a chocolate-covered caramel candy, and that was good enough for me. I never ate much candy growing up because, before I became enlightened, I didn't like chocolate, didn't like coconut, and didn't like nuts in things, which pretty much eliminated everything. The one thing I did like, though, was caramel. I would eat anything with caramel — even if it was covered in chocolate.



I made the yolos and they were GREAT! They tasted just like caramel, and everyone at the dinner loved them, especially the two kids. I found the recipe online for you so you can make them, too, in case you don't own Angela's cookbook.  On Angela Lidden's blog, she calls the candies Rolos instead of Yolos. (I do know what Rolos are.) In the cookbook, the quantity of dates is one cup, the coconut oil is 1/2 teaspoon, and the quantity of balls is 20, but everything else is the same. I didn't use the chia seeds or the toothpicks.

I'm going to give you a few suggestions for making yours come out better looking than mine. Maybe. I'm not very good at getting the coating smooth. Maybe you are better at it than I.

1. When you first freeze the date mixture, use a shallow bowl so all of the mix chills. Mine was packed into a small bowl and the date mixture in the center didn't get cold enough to make it easy to handle. 2. Make sure your date balls are perfectly smooth and round so the chocolate goes on smoothly. 3. Keep the melted chocolate warm over hot water so the chocolate stays thin enough to coat the balls easily. 4. Enjoy!

The recipe can be found on the Oh She Glows Blog. It is vegan and gluten-free. And fabulous!

10 comments:

  1. I made these a couple of years ago when the cookbook first came out, and they were so good! I like your idea of making them for a dinner party. I need to do that sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to get stuck on a couple of recipes from each of my cookbooks and forget to try the others. I'm so glad I finally got around to trying this one because it's delicious!

      Delete
  2. I love this recipes so much!! I made them for a dinner party too - when I had a GF friend coming over and I wanted something special and unique that was also gf for dessert. They are so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. These are a super treat! When our three-year-old guest bit into his, he broke into a huge smile and said, "I LIKE this!"

      Delete
  3. Rolo or yolo, they look super yummy! My chocolate coatings never come out smooth or neat looking, I finally accepted it and just call it rustic homemade. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever you call them, they are amazing — just like caramel. I hear you about the coatings — mine are always rough. I try to embrace your attitude but there's this nagging part of me that wants to uncover the secrete of making the chocolate coating smooth. Sigh. I guess I'll just have to keep trying. :)

      Delete
  4. If you'd have served these to me after dinner, I'd have been in heaven. They look like a real treat. I would have snaffled all 20 before I could get them to the guests though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately they have to be kept in the freezer, which keeps them out of sight. You should make some, because they really are wonderful! (Just don't invite anyone to dinner.)

      Delete
  5. Good call; I've never made these! Thank goodness you made dessert. Fruit would not have sufficed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would understand.

      You should make these — they are delicious!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!