September 03, 2016

Summer is NOT over— it's okay to eat soup and ice cream



Some bloggers have started posting autumn-friendly soup recipes accompanied by the sentiment they can't wait for summer to be over and have fall arrive. Don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of soup, and autumn, but please, let summer last a little longer! I love wearing shorts and t-shirts, not needing a sweater, and having my garden green and growing. And the sunshine. And homemade ice cream.

I've had a lot of fun with my ice cream maker this summer, and ice cream is so much better on a warm summer day. The cashew ice cream you see here was mostly blueberries with a banana and some mango thrown in for texture and extra sweetness. It was sweetened with dates. The grandkids loved it. It was very fruity, and at times made me think a little of bubblegum, so we called it bubbleberry. I also have a new, updated strawberry ice cream that is fabulous. I may post the recipe soon if I don't get discouraged by rain and chill.



We really do like soup — even if it's still summer in my mind. The soup you see here is an old favorite from the Oh She Glows Cookbook called, Eat Your greens Detox Soup. (Cookbook review here.) I'll post the recipe at the bottom of my post because it's such a good one I want to share it again. My husband made it, and he added additional vegetables, and noodles.



We just celebrated our granddaughter's first birthday, and I made the cake. It was more like uncut bars masquerading as cake. I made banana chocolate chip cake with bittersweet chocolate frosting, and it kills me that I can't post a photo of my precious little sweetheart devouring her first cake, but her parents have a strict no-Internet photo sharing policy, and I respect that. The recipe for the cake is here. I made one and a half recipes and used a larger pan, but I don't recommend it. Making one recipe in an eight-or nine-inch pan is the way to go. The frosting is my all time favorite from Ricki Heller, and is made with sweet potatoes or yams. You can read about it here. I'm not great at cake decorating, but I mean well.



Well, yikes! Guess what? Not long after I put up my post, I received an email from my son saying I can't post photos of baby M on facebook, but I CAN put her on my blog. So here she is, celebrating her birthday with a piece of banana chocolate chip cake. I'm honored that my son reads my blog.



We belong to a vegan meet-up group, and recently attended 'taco Tuesday' at Café Wylde in Everett, WA. If I remember correctly, the tacos were $2 each and filled with jackfruit. We also had green salsa and cashew cream. The tacos were tasty, but ever since I started making my own taco shells, I pay much more attention to the shells than I used to. I'll say no more.



I hope Kittee will forgive us for this, (actually, I hope she doesn't see it), but my husband made an Ethiopian dinner without using oil. The food, from Kittee's cookbook, Teff Love, was super delicious, but I could definitely taste the difference. If I were to make an Ethiopian meal for company, I would probably make it in the traditional way, but for just us, it was a successful experiment.



Just to keep things real, here's a plate more typical of what we usually eat — beans, rice and kale. The protein, grain and vegetable may change, but the simplicity doesn't.

Here's the recipe for eat your greens detox soup that I promised. I recommend it!

Eat your greens detox soup
Serves 3

  • 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil or olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups sliced cremini or white button mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
  • 1 cup chopped carrots
  • 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
  • fine grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 1/2 to 3 tsp grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 5 cups vegetable broth
  • 2 large nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1 inch strips (optional)
  • 2 cups torn kale leaves
  • fresh lemon juice, for serving (optional)
  1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
  2. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli, and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes more.
  3. Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon, and saute for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
  4. Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10-20 minutes.
  5. Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale, and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
Reprinted by arrangement with AVERY, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © GLO BAKERY CORPORATION, 2014.

This post contains Amazon links.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for an interesting post. First, want to say that as far as food descriptions go, your description of the birthday cake, "...like uncut bars masquerading as cake" is a lovely description--I immediately could imagine that cake and it's texture. Nice!
    Second, your post title made me laugh, because I married into a French family and, as is widely known, in French culture there are innumerable 'rules' about food and eating (interestingly, most of these rules still apply, despite having joined the more anarchistic side of that French family). And having occasionally broken the rule of when it's ok to eat ice cream, your title amusingly hit home. Third, thanks for the detox soup recipe. Have made a less interesting version of it for some time but like the sound of yours and will try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Last summer we went to Paris for the first time, and found ourselves 'breaking rules' in restaurants when requesting vegan meals!

      We enjoy the soup very much, and I hope you do, too. Angela Lidden's recipes rarely disappoint.

      Delete
  2. THANK YOU! I've been feeling frustrated by abrupt march towards fall recipes because summer is still in session, for crying out loud! It typically gets hotter around the bay area about now anyway; our "real" summer is definitely September - October. Regardless of the season though, I would gladly dig into that plate of Ethiopian goodness. Oil or no, it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I can understand people wanting to escape blazing temperatures and settle into the cooler conditions of fall, but here in the PNW, I want to hang onto every warm, sunny day I can. Plenty of cool weather ahead when summer finally says farewell. And yes, Ethiopian food all year!

      Delete
  3. As seems to be usual in England, summer only really gets going in August and September, so I'm going to hang onto every last scrap and ice cream recipe I can! The colour is gorgeous! Don't get me wrong, I love fall food too, I'm just in no rush to get there yet. The greens soup is still calling my name, though, whatever the season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm meant to live in a zone of between 75 and 80 degrees F. In that range I feel comfortable eating anything I want be it ice cream or soup. The greens soup tastes great as is on day 1, and over noodles on day 2. We love it!

      Delete
  4. Bubbleberry, what a great name for the ice cream! and it totally looks like its name. As long as there's summer produce hanging around the local farmer's market, it's still summer as far as I'm concerned. The de-tox soup has a summer vibe to it with the extra veggies and noodles. Looks like your granddaughter really enjoyed her birthday cake. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being around an 8-year-old encourages silliness, but I think bubbleberry was pretty accurate. as for summer, I'm hanging on as long as possible — if it's not raining, it's summer. I think little M was impressed by her cake — especially the frosting, which she ate first!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!