November 17, 2016

Scattered thoughts and random food



I've been sadly disturbed during the recent election process. My angst started in the weeks before the vote, and increased dramatically after the election. I'm just starting to function again, but barely. I wanted to do a post Monday, but just couldn't get myself in gear. It's probably just as well I missed the deadline to sign up for mofo. I'm still feeding and walking the dog, so I'm not completely lost, but the election has taken a toll, so I'm reaching into my 'random' folder and posting photos of things we've eaten lately — or not so lately, starting with a nice, soothing lentil soup with shredded cabbage (above). I made it in the Instant Pot, which I wrote about here.



Speaking of the Instant Pot, I have to say, I still LOVE my Instant Pot. I recently bought a clear glass lid on sale at Amazon, and used the Pot as a slow cooker for the first time. First I cooked pinto beans at high pressure, using the Pot as a pressure cooker, then added the rest of the ingredients to make chipotlé polenta bake from Robin Robertson's Fresh From the Vegan Slow Cooker (reviewed here). (I want to mention that, in an attempt to save money, I first bought a glass lid at Goodwill, but neglected to notice it didn't have a steam vent, and the results were an unfortunate overflow down the sides of the pot and onto the counter. It was also too large. If you want to try a lid from the pile at Goodwill, you need a nine-inch lid with a steam vent.)



Here's another seed bread result — I think after consuming way too much of the bread, then taking a break from it, I'm about ready to make another loaf. I miss it. I started experimenting with yeasted versions but am not yet ready to share the results.



I'm still enjoying making salad dressings sans oil, and one of these days I swear I'll post some of my favorite recipes. I've started writing down ingredients, but then I always add a little extra of this or that, and forget what exactly it was. I'm not meant to be a recipe developer, I'm afraid.



This was a 'cheesy spaghetti squash' recipe from a cookbook, but I won't tell you which one. It was unpleasant. I blame my husband.



Sometimes you just have to order pizza. This is a slice of gluten-free vegan pizza from Razzis Pizzaria. I have to say I never get sick from Razzi's food, which is more than I can say about much of the restaurant food I try. And it tastes good! They have four separate menus for traditional, gluten-free, vegan and gluten-free vegan food.

Speaking of food, I'm pretty hungry so I'm off to the kitchen to dish up some of the leftover chipotlé polenta bake. Maybe I'll make it into burgers.

12 comments:

  1. Me too. :-( I'm imagining the worst but hoping for the best. Glad to hear the Instant Pot is still in play. Great idea getting a glass lid, I'm surprised it didn't come with. Pizza makes everything better. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid the best might still be the worst, you know? The Instant Pot is probably the most used appliance in my kitchen, next to the Vitamix. :D I still want an air fryer, though. hahaha.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I saw some commentator (I think John Oliver, who is very smart & funny if you aren't familiar) talk about how everyone was so ready for the election to be over since it was so mean and draining but then once it was over the results were even worse than we could imagine so we have to go back to wishing it was still going on.
    Wishing you strength and goodness, and lots more of that lentil soup and pizza. Is the cabbage cooked in, or do you shred it raw on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen a lot of amazing John Oliver monologues, and he is always spot on. I add the cabbage at the end so it's a little crispy. I like it that way. Red cabbage is really nice to use for a topping, and cabbage goes really well with toasted peanuts, too.

      Delete
  3. I honestly can't even think about the state of the country any more without wanting to cry, so I'm only too happy to focus on the food instead, which all looks delicious. Even if the results of that spaghetti squash didn't live up to expectations, the concept sounds great. I may just have to try to wing it based on the description.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The spaghetti squash recipe sounded great, and I don't know what went wrong since I only saw the results. I usually love spaghetti squash, and when I recover from the memory of the dish, I may try it again myself.

      Delete
  4. I can understand - what a crazy time. I hope it's not as bad as we are all predicting.

    The bread looks great - I'm the same, make it a few times then get sick of it and need a break. It really is delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect, judging from what's already happened, that it will be very bad.

      It's nice to revisit recipes you became sick of, and discover you like them all over again!

      Delete
  5. I am lost for words Andrea regarding the outcome of the US election, but I had a terrible gut feeling that was the way it was going esp as we had Brexit in the UK and hostility towards visible migrants has increased, and if you any kind of minority challenging times are ahead.

    The colour of all your eats the first one has inspired me to make a vegan Kimchi soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commiserating. I was stunned by Brexit, and I feel gut-punched by what just happened here. What's next?

      Kimchi soup sounds like a great idea. I've been wanting to make kinchi for a while but haven't gotten around to it, yet.

      Delete
  6. It's a horrible turn of events, and the shock waves seem to be pretty much reaching everywhere. It just makes you think you really didn't know people as well as you thought you did. Tasty pizza is the only bright spot right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right about not really knowing people as well as you thought you did. Sometimes it feels like a scifi novel about the end of the world. Hopefully the sane people can get things back on track. Pizza every night! And cake!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!