December 30, 2016

Texas Caviar (black-eyed pea salsa) for good luck in the New Year



Just popping in for a few minutes to wish you a Happy New Year and share a recipe I've been making for New Year's Day for longer than I can remember. Eating black-eyed peas is supposed to bring luck in the new year. I first posted the recipe here in 2007, and periodically, when I can remember, ever since. We love it, and I'll be making it again this year, because, who can turn down the possibility of a little extra good luck. Especially now. And because it tastes great! You can find the original post, here.

In other news, if you have some free time over the next few days, I can recommend a few good movies we just saw. Both Fences and Jackie were terrific films, as was Lion, Fences being particularly profound. If staying home and binge-watching TV (while scooping up Texas caviar) is more your style, I highly recommend The Crown and Rectify. Rectify, just so you know, is incredibly intense viewing with extraordinary acting. We're currently binge-watching Last Tango in Halifax, and while it started out wonderfully pleasant, it's gotten a bit heavy-duty, though we still like it a lot.

 

Texas Caviar
  • 2 cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
  • 4 scallions, finely sliced
  • 3 jalapenos, minced. Use fewer if you don't enjoy  spicy food. If you hate heat, use a mild pepper instead of jalapeño. I use 3 and the spice is mild, in my opinion.
  • 1/4 cup dried (or fresh) tomato, chopped, or 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, chopped.
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, minced. If you dislike cilantro, use parsley. Tastes great with parsley!
  • 1/4 cup olive oil,
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Fresh ground peppercorns
  1. Rinse and drain the beans.
  2. Place the beans in a shallow glass (or other non-reactive) dish with the scallions, cilantro, dried tomatoes and peppers.  
  3. Put the oil, vinegar, lime juice and salt in a one cup glass measuring cup, and mix together. Add the liquid to the bean mixture and combine. Cover and place in the refrigerator for a few hours or a few days. Stir occasionally to distribute the marinade evenly. 
  4. Grind some peppercorns over the top just before serving.
  5. Serve with substantial chips for scooping.
notes:
I used jalapenos from last summer's garden. I always freeze bags of whole, hot peppers from the garden or farmers market to use in cooking during the rest of the year. This was the first time I tried to use them uncooked. Couldn't tell they weren't fresh.

Fresh squeezed lime juice makes a superior salad but I would understand if you kept a bottle of lime juice (like Santa Cruz organic) in your refrigerator for "emergencies." The beans will still taste great.

I like to rinse and drain canned beans in a wire wok skimmer that I got in an Asian market years ago because I liked the way it looked. It's easier to clean than my fine mesh strainers and holds about one can of beans at a time.

This is an old recipe and I'll probably revise it to use less, or no oil. I'll update  if and when I do. Also, since I now have an Instant Pot, and cooking beans from scratch has become more fun, I'll probably use dried beans.

This year's beans, marinating.

..............................................................................................................

8 comments:

  1. Love all the color in the dish! Not usually a fan of black eye peas, but all the extra goodies makes it much more appealing. Haven't seen either of those movies but looking forward to seeing Jackie and Hidden Figures. Wishing you a very Happy New Year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was never a fan of black-eyed peas, either, but I like them a whole lot more than I used to. They lend themselves well to spicy seasonings.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! I love Texas caviar (I think I was introduced to it by the Afro Vegan cookbook) - a bit of bread and a bowl of this and I'd be a happy (and lucky!) bunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too! I'm pretty fond of Texas caviar, myself, and I've got mine marinating in the fridge as I type. I'm a little worried though, about how spicy this years version is going to be. I used all three peppers and it was a bit intense.

      Delete
  3. Happy new year! I would certainly feel lucky if I had a bowl of this Texas caviar gracing my table right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I felt pretty lucky to be scooping it up with chips this afternoon. So glad I remembered to make it yesterday so it had a chance to marinate overnight.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Andrea. I love black eyed peas and have in the past made something for New Year, but not this year - may do something this w/e, maybe even your Texas Caviar! Warm wishes as always
    PS Did you see my Welshwoman's caviar?!
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/welsh-womans-vegan-laverbread-caviar.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you, too! I didn't see your recipe but will definitely take a look. I've spent the past week being sick - guess my good luck beans didn't work this year. 🙁

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!