April 18, 2017

How to impress the kids with an air fryer



Two of my young grandchildren recently spent the day with us, and at one point during the visit I saw my nine-year-old granddaughter looking at my food blog on my husband's computer. I had no idea she even knew about the blog, and I asked her how she found it. "I just googled your name," she said. "Look. I'll show you how." Okay. That was weird. But it got even better.

"I love looking at pictures of food," she said. "Want to see my favorite thing?" she asked. "Ummm sure," I answered. She then went to my air fryer post and found a photo of French fries.


This is the photo she showed me. "Fries are my favorite food. I wish I could have these right now," she said, wistfully. "You can!" I answered, and less than 20 minutes later, she was sitting in front of a plate of puffy, crispy fries, which she devoured. I think the air fryer has become the most used appliance in the kitchen. And I now have super powers!

I admit, in the beginning days of owning the air fryer, I was so obsessed with fries (and tofu) that every time I went to make something in the air fryer, I ended up making one of those two things. I've expanded my repertoire a bit, though if I'm being honest, they are still my favorites.

10 comments:

  1. Your granddaughter sounds like such a cool kid! I wish I was that savvy, or naturally inquisitive at that age. It must be said that you're also quite the rock star grandmother with your famous blog and nifty cooking contraptions. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud when I read your comment! Nifty cooking contraptions, maybe, but I only wish I had a famous blog. :D

      Delete
  2. What a cool grandma, whipping out delicious low-fat fries on demand! You have me intrigued with that air fryer. I made vegan tempeh "wings" tonight (which is how I happened upon your blog) and they turned out OK, my family ate them, but they would have been much better if they'd been crispy (I baked them without oil).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves the 'wings' more than I do, but we eat them a lot. Good idea to try them in the air fryer. The cooking surface in my fryer is fairly small, something to consider if you are cooking for a family. The Go Wise large size is supposed to be good for that. Also, when I tried cooking plain tempeh in the fryer, it came out dry. I think I would steam it first next time.

      Delete
  3. I love fries as a kid, still do. So awesome that you can whip out healthy fries so quick, super powers indeed. And what great memories for your granddaughter - grandma makes the best fries. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I can eat fries fairly often without thinking I'm clogging my arteries. They taste so good, too — more real potato flavor than when they've been deep fried. Deep fried is good, air fried is better. And the kids love them!

      Delete
  4. I can see why the grandkids loved the fries - they look fab! I'm also mightily impressed that you've managed to find the secret of grandchildren whispering and it was in your kitchen all along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. Grandchildren whispering. If only.

      Delete
  5. Yes! I just used an air fryer for the first time on Saturday at my Nan's house and it was great! I made hash browns for our family Sunday breaky and used it to toast Hot Cross Buns too :) sounds like your granddaughter loves the air fryer too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my air fryer! I use it to make toast, too, since I had to take the toaster away to make room for it. I've even used it to heat leftovers in a small dish.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!