November 01, 2008

Plum crisp, easy and delicious

I was trying to clear out the refrigerator and make room for a new fruit share box and I was staring at a bag of red plums at the point of use 'em or loose 'em. When we signed up for a bi-weekly fruit share from our CSA, we didn't realize what we were getting into. We already split a veggie share with friends and we each take a box on alternate weeks, so it seemed we'd be able to use up the fruit in two weeks. Not so. We eat a LOT of fruit but it's never enough. With the plums, I meant to make a batch of plum and apricot chutney, but just plum forgot all about it. (sorry) As I looked at the bag, all I could think of was apple crisp made with plums. I should have looked on the Web for ideas but that would have meant another trip upstairs, so I just went at it, hoping for the best. I did keep track of what I did—pretty basic but really delicious.

Plum crisp
12 ripe red plums, cut in half and stones removed
two tablespoons sucanot
two tablespoons spelt flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sucanot (or other evaporated cane juice)
1/4 cup spelt flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch salt
two (or three if you want it richer) tablespoons vegan margarine (Earth Balance)

Lay the plum halves cut side up in a large baking pan. Sprinkle with two tablespoons sugar, two tablespoons spelt flour and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
In a medium sized bowl, mix together the rolled oats, sucanot,spelt flour, cinnamon and salt. Cut in the margarine with a pastry blender (if you have such a thing) or two knives (or your clean fingers) until it looks like bread crumbs.
Spread the topping evenly over the plums.
Bake in a preheated 375˚ oven for about 40 minutes or until the plums are soft. If the topping starts to get too brown, cover with a sheet of foil.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! And it's cool to find gluten free recipes, as I have student on a gluten free diet and we're always looking for things to make in the classroom. This evening we made apple crisp and ate it with vanilla soy delicious ice cream! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great--I love the idea of using plums instead of apples (and what a great way to use them up).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, As Ricki pointed out to me, and as I already knew, this isn't gluten-free. I meant to say it's wheat-free. Although, can I even say that? Is spelt a kind of wheat? Some sources say it is.

    In any case, baked plums are surprisingly creamy and lush.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spelt is an ancient wheat, so it has gluten but somewhat less than modern wheat, and a lot of people find it easier to digest. I have used gluten free flours (mostly brown rice), and I think you could easily substitute rice flour for spelt, and use gluten free oats.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!