April 16, 2009

Mock chopped liver/gluten-free crackers

One (just one) of the reasons I started this blog was to have a place to share recipes with my kids. They sometimes ask me how to make a particular dish they remember from when they lived at home. This is especially true around holidays, but it can pop up anytime. My son recently sent me an e-mail asking if I had my recipe for mock chopped liver on the blog. He wanted to take it to a potluck, but no, I didn't, and I couldn't remember where it was. I was going to a potluck, too and decided to add this to the things I was already bringing, so I searched the internet for recipes. It sometimes seems that every recipe ever created already exits there. (I swear, even when I go into the kitchen and think I'm making something up, the next thing I know someone posts a similar recipe before I've even posted mine, or I google what I've just made and 10,000 similar things pop up. It's uncanny and unnerving.) I was sure the exact paté I used to make from string beans and walnuts would be there, but I couldn't find just what I was looking for. Instead, I found one that used mushrooms and celery, and decided to use that for my base. I've tweaked the recipe a bit (click here for the original) and the result was the one of the best mock chopped livers I've ever tasted. The weird thing about this recipe is that for people who have grown up vegetarian as my kids have, the original chopped liver is something they've never actually tasted. This should just be called "paté." But it does have a flavor that is so like the original, it's hard to ignore. Call it what you will, it tastes great, and serves a large crowd.

Mock chopped liver (Real mushroom pate)
  • 3 large onions, chopped
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 cup raw cashews
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • oil or oil spray for cooking
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 scant teaspoon salt
  • fresh ground pepper (lots)
  1. Sauté the onions in a large wok until they start to brown. Either add a little oil to the wok or spray it with oil, and spray occasionally to keep the veggies from burning.
  2. Add the celery and cook until soft.
  3. Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. The onions will be very brown, but not burned.
  4. Add the cashews and walnuts and cook 3-4 minutes.
  5. Put everything in a food processor. Add the salt and pepper. Process several minutes until the mixture is very creamy.
  6. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and process just until mixed.
  7. Place in a bowl and refrigerate for several hours. Check the seasonings.
  8. Serve with crackers or as a dip.
FYI: The crackers in the photo are Mary's Gone Crackers which are a staple at our house. This line of crackers is gluten free, and although I don't avoid gluten, I'm addicted to all varieties of Mary's Gone Crackers.

p.s. Uh oh. I just discovered I have another version of this recipe on the blog already, but this newer one is better and more like its namesake. (In a good way, of course!)

5 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of chopped liver but that pate sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stuff was sooooooo delicious.... and in fact I did not grow up eating the "real" chopped liver either. I only had the vegetarian kind (made with chopped eggs) from my Aunt Rose. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought there was something kind of icky about real chopped liver. Eeewww. I much prefer the vegetable variety.

    And, yes, Mihl, there are a lot of great vegan cooks out there posting recipes - more than I ever imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always hated liver, and never have eaten chopped liver, but your recipe sounds like a nice spread I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are my favorite crackers! So crunchy, flavorful, and addicting! I love all the flavors, but especially black pepper - with a spicy kick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!