Mock chopped liver (Real mushroom pate)
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup walnuts
- oil or oil spray for cooking
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper (lots)
- Sauté the onions in a large wok until they start to brown. Either add a little oil to the wok or spray it with oil, and spray occasionally to keep the veggies from burning.
- Add the celery and cook until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes. The onions will be very brown, but not burned.
- Add the cashews and walnuts and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Put everything in a food processor. Add the salt and pepper. Process several minutes until the mixture is very creamy.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice and process just until mixed.
- Place in a bowl and refrigerate for several hours. Check the seasonings.
- Serve with crackers or as a dip.
p.s. Uh oh. I just discovered I have another version of this recipe on the blog already, but this newer one is better and more like its namesake. (In a good way, of course!)