May 22, 2009

Pasta with tomatoes and artichoke hearts

What can I say? I was listlessly thumbing through  Parade Magazine one lazy Sunday when something caught my attention. Although it wasn't labeled as such, there was a great-sounding vegan pasta dish filled with artichoke hearts. I immediately went for the scissors and cut it out because you can never have too many recipes containing artichoke hearts.

As it turns out, the dish was as good as I hoped it would be, though I think it should be served over linguine, which is my favorite pasta shape. We had ours over whole wheat penne rigate with a side of kale.

Tomatoes and artichoke hearts with pasta (adapted from a recipe by Sheila Lukins)
  • 12 oz. oil-marinated artichoke hearts
  • 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 28-oz. cans plum tomatoes, crushed
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
  • juice and zest of one small lemon
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar (evaporated cane juice)
  • 12 oz. package dried pasta, cooked (linguini recommended)
  1. Drain the artichokes and cut them in half lengthwise.
  2. Sweat the onions in the oil for 10 minutes. (Cook over low heat in a heavy, covered pot, until translucent) Add the garlic during the last two minutes.
  3. Stir in the crushed plum tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, rosemary, sugar and red pepper flakes. (Rub the herbs quickly between you hands to release their oils, before adding)
  4. Simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes.
  5. Add the artichoke hearts and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  6. Stir in the parsley and lemon. Add salt and pepper if needed. Adjust sweetness, if needed.

    5 comments:

    1. Sounds simple, but very tasty! I love adding artichokes to pasta dishes.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Funny! I made a variation on that one also, and it was gooooooood.... everyone liked it! But I had to add more stuff to it because that's what I do. And in the end we decided to put the artichoke hearts into the salad instead!

      ReplyDelete
    3. That's exactly the type of pasta I love to make. Artichoke hearts make any pasta better!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Kiersten,
      I love adding artichokes to everything!

      Wingraclaire,
      I'd like to see what you added.

      Ricki,
      I might be addicted to artichoke hearts, though I usually opt for the water-packed kind.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Agreed, artichokes are irresistible. I like the water packed kind too.

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

    There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

    Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!