May 07, 2009

Quinoa pilaf



It's getting late and I'm tired but I wanted to post something, so I'll make it quick. I planned to post a few recipes inspired by "The Chicago Diner Cookbook," and after posting one last Saturday, I didn't realize it would take me so long to get to the second one. There was always something getting in the way. Even this afternoon, after I went to Trader Joe's for mushrooms, I came home to discover we were out of quinoa! Then there was something slimy in the vegetable drawer that needed to be cleaned out, etc. etc. I finally got some quinoa, made the pilaf and served it with baby bok choy and edamame in a mild peanut-lime sauce — tasty, easy and pretty.


Quinoa pilaf (inspired by The Chicago Diner Cookbook)
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1-3/4 cups low-salt veggie broth or water
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 cup diagonally sliced green onions or cooking onions
  • 1 cup sliced cremini (baby bella) or other fresh mushrooms
  • 1 carrot, peeled and grated
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/3 cup chopped parsley
  1. Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer under running water. Place the quinoa and broth (or water) in a pot and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to simmer, cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
  2. In the meantime, sauté the mushrooms and onions in the oil for 2 or 3 minutes.
  3. Add the carrot and peas, cover and turn off the heat. Let sit until the carrots and peas are warmed through.
  4. Stir the veggies into the quinoa. Add the parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper, if needed.

5 comments:

  1. Looks simple yet delicious! I love having peas and carrots with quinoa; the texture and flavor is just tasty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the type of dish I love--all in one pot and easy to make! And I think I can actually have this on the ACD--whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LK Sisters,
    Thanks for your comment. I agree!

    Ricki,
    You've stuck with that diet such a long time. I hope it it works for you. This is my favorite kind of food — simple, delicious and nourishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quinoa is delicious with vegetables...will love this one I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple and sounds delicious will give it a try

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!