March 30, 2017

Sauerkraut sushi? Maybe not.



When the rain stops and the sun comes out in Seattle, you don't grab a quick shower, throw a load of clothes in the washer, or write a blog post. You go outside and plant the parsley! The parsley that's been sitting on the deck waiting for this moment is now in the ground. And it's raining again. Oh well. I was kind of hoping the sun would stay out for a while longer, but this season has been especially rainy and sunless. Normally, Seattle has a lot less rain than many other large cities, like New York, D.C., Baltimore, etc. It's often overcast and gloomy, though, except in later spring and summer, when it tends to be gloriously sunny and dry. Today, though, I'll probably be taking the dog for a walk in drizzle, and thinking about the parsley spreading its roots and preparing to grow bigger as the weather turns to spring. But first, a random post about some of the food we've been eating.



About the sushi in the post title ... I had a terrible craving for sushi. With a quantity of sushi rice in the pantry, and my Instant Pot standing at the ready, I got busy cooking rice and thinking about what to fill the rolls with. The fridge was bare of interesting things, and I wasn't in the mood to go shopping — it was probably raining. Not a cucumber. green onion or avocado in sight, and no creative thoughts in my brain. Nothing but a jar of sauerkraut stood out as a possibility. Let's just say I won't be making sauerkraut sushi again, and you shouldn't either. Not as the only add-in. Perhaps it would be an interesting flavor along with other, more colorful items like roasted red peppers or fried tofu.



I've been having loads of fun with my new air fryer; I use it constantly for everything imaginable. Here is a bowl of rice and veggies with air fried tofu and a sweet/sour sauce.



Leftover dinner salad filled with arugula — my favorite green of the moment — made a pleasant lunch. Although we eat a lot of salads in the summer, sometimes I forget to eat them in the chilly, gloomy months. And when I do consume raw greens in the winter, they have to be special. This is a Chinese salad with mandarins and toasted peanuts from Kristy Turner's cookbook, But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan, 125 Recipes to Win Everyone Over, which we can't help but make again and again.




The leftover salad nicely complemented leftover Thai food the following day. Most of our lunches are made from leftovers. I love leftovers.



My husband made tacos last week, and I wanted a cheesy topping, but I only had 10 minutes before the start of the Rachel Maddow show, to which I'm currently addicted (it's Pacific time here so she comes on at 6 p.m.). I made cheese sauce in under 10 minutes so I could get to the TV in time to watch. I didn't use a recipe, which made it faster, and didn't write it down, which I'm sorry about since it tasted so good. I made it in the Vitamix with approximately 1/2 -3/4 cup of cashews, 1 cup of hot water, one clove of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder, 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast flakes, two roasted red peppers from a jar, 1 scant tablespoon of tapioca starch, dash of rice vinegar (no time to squeeze lemon) and salt. After it was blended to a creamy sauce, I cooked it in a small pot to thicken it a bit more. It tasted great on the tacos, and now the leftovers are being spread on crackers and toast. I've been making vegan cheese sauces since the 80s, when I first acquired a copy of The Farm Cookbook, then later, from The Uncheese Cookbook and Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. Since then, vegan cheese has skyrocketed in popularity, and every vegan cookbook and vegan blog has multiple recipes available. If you don't feel like making one up based on past experience, just look for a recipe online. You won't have a problem finding something appealing. I have a few favorites that I turn to again and again — when speed isn't an issue! When I need something fast, and don't have time to undertake a recipe, I wing it.

The toast is made from the buckwheat millet bread I wrote about here. I've been experimenting with the bread again, and when I finish, I'll post an updated recipe.

I ran into a little problem after I made the bread because the air fryer bumped the toaster from its accessible location on the counter. The bread absolutely needs toasting to be at its best, so now the air fryer is also a toaster! And, it makes better toast than the toaster ever did. Love my air fryer!

8 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm bummed about the sushi because that sounds pretty good to me! I do like pickles more than your average bear though, so I might still throw caution to the wind and try it. I bet if there was more in there to contrast with the tanginess, it could very well be a big success. Avocado, smoked tofu, and maybe even gold beets are calling out to me right now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounded good to me, too, but it definitely needed something else in there. Maybe some scallion, or shredded carrot, or air fried tofu would have increased the appeal. Sadly, the cupboard was bare, and I was feeling lazy.

      Delete
  2. Part of me thought sauerkraut sushi would be good, but then again maybe I'm thinking of kimchee. Vegan cheese nowadays is just amazing. I like how you're able to wing a version on the spot. I just tried a cashew cheese recipe the other day, so good. I'm hoping in time to be able to wing it like you. The air fryer is a toaster too?!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sushi would have been better if the sauerkraut had been an accent ingredient instead of the only one. There are so many cashew cheese recipes it's hard to invent an original! Some of the ones I see remind me of recipes I made long before there were a million vegan cookbooks and blogs. Still, some recipes stand out as unusually delicious, and I always appreciate finding a new one to try. The air fryer isn't really a toaster, but my toaster is put away in an inconvenient cupboard to make way for the air fryer, so it will just have to be a toaster, too!

      Delete
  3. As soon as you said sauerkraut sushi, I thought 'well, that sounds interesting - I've got a jar of sauerkraut and some sushi rice in the cupboard'. Clearly I should have got a bit further before jumping to make new dishes! The cashew cheese sounds great. It's one of those vegan staples that I know will always be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like sauerkraut sushi more than me — you should try it, but add some additional non-sauerkraut items for balance! It's hard to go wrong with cashew cheese. No matter what I add, it always seems to taste great.

      Delete
  4. So many yummy things in your kitchen, but I think I am with you on sauerkraut sushi - keep them separate indeed. I have the Kirsty Tuners cookbooks on my wishlist, recommended by a few bloggers opinions I do respect, now you too x No kidding abut vegan nut cheese say rocketing, I have the Uncheese book but have not got round to making anything from it yet. Oh my I think I may even have a copy of the Farm Cookbook, I will have to check when I get home this evening, if so - then I am terrible for not making something from it and must remedy that asap. Have a lovely week Andrea. Your creamy cheese truly looks awesome,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a few of the simpler cheeses from Miyoko's book, and have been pleased with the results. The cheese sauce in the Farm cookbook is good, but even back in the day, before oil was even talked about, there was way too much oil in the recipes for me. I always cut the oil at least in half. Now I don't even bother to add any except in certain recipes! I think The Farm book has a newer edition than the one I had.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!