March 29, 2009

Potato, green bean, kidney bean curry



Whenever my son announces he wants to cook dinner I'm delighted because I know we'll be having great food. He doesn't use recipes in a conventional way or measure ingredients, so it's usually hard to pin him down on just what he's added; but this time he was inspired by a recipe from one of my favorite Indian cookbooks, and I grilled him on what he did, so I could share his interpretation of the recipe.

He started with "Spiced Green Beans" from Lord Krishna's Cuisine: The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking by Yamuna Devi and David Baird." With this recipe as inspiration, he changed spices and added ingredients to come up with a truly delicious main course dish.


Potato-green bean-kidney bean curry
  • 1 – 2 tablespoons oil (or half oil and half Earth Balance margarine)
  • 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
  • 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 12 ounces fresh green beans, stems trimmed
  • 12 ounces canned chopped tomatoes in their juice
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 small potatoes, cubed and steamed until half cooked
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • handful chopped fresh cilantro
  • salt to taste
  1. Heat the oil and fry the cumin seeds and mustard seeds until the cumin seeds darken and the mustard pops and turns gray, about a minute.
  2. Add the onion and saute until it softens, about a minute or two. Add the green beans and cook about 2–3 minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes and simmer about a minute.
  4. Add the water, potatoes, turmeric and kidney beans, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
  5. Add the sugar, some cilantro and salt to taste, cover and simmer about 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked and the sauce reduces and thickens.
  6. Garnish and serve with brown basmati rice.

6 comments:

  1. Lucky you to have someone else cook for you! I really like the combo of the green beans and dried beans in here. Groovy, man! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks fabulous! How nice to have a fantastic Indian dish prepared for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love having people cook for me - it's a bonus when it tastes as good as this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Re: your comment on my blog--yes, The Girls are VERY smart (even when asleep--har har!). But they're both part border collie, so that makes them smarter than I am half the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks easy and delicious.... I will try it!

    And thanks for the baby links!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks soo tasty! I think your son has a future in healthy, delicious, cooking!

    Fee free to send him my way if he wants some more practice :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!