August 06, 2009

Dinner treat from Vegan Yum Yum


Three of my husband's graduate students hosted us for dinner recently, with Katie doing most of the cooking. She was the one brave enough to tackle a vegan dinner, and she did a fabulous job. The food was so wonderful I asked her where she got the recipe. She answered that she had gotten it on a vegan blog - Vegan Yum Yum - had I heard of that? Well, let's just say I own mini-doughnut pans (used) and a gnocchi board (still unused) as a result of knowing that blog.


The recipe is called Sweet Chili Lime Tofu With Wok Steamed Collards and Quinoa. Katie used half regular and half red quinoa for a particularly attractive look and a great taste. We were unable to get red quinoa, so the dish in the photo doesn't contain any. If you're looking for a delicious way to get some vitamin packed greens, healthful quinoa and tasty tofu on the table, go here.

My husband has become so enamored of this recipe he makes it again and again, improving a little each time. The last time he made it (not pictured here) he got the tofu nice and crispy, and it was really great. For some reason, though, the quinoa comes out wet instead of dry, and I prefer it dry.

........................................................................................

Tweet tweet

It seems like just yesterday my son was declaring twitter to be stupid and a waste of time. Now suddenly, he's tweeting, and telling me I need to be on twitter. He says if I have a blog, I should be tweeting about it. What? I declined, but he was emphatic and set up my account. "But I don't have anything to tweet about," I protested, "all I do is sort and pack." "Then just tweet when you post something," says he. "But who will read it?," I asked? So here I am with a twitter account and I'm tweeting.. For now. I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to say or why, but I'm going to try it out for a while. If you want to follow me, and I understand perfectly if you don't, you can click here.

6 comments:

  1. that looks like a yummy meal! i've actually had that recipe bookmarked for a while now. you just reminded me that i need to make it.

    i think it's funny that your son was so anti-twitter before, and now he likes it. i haven't jumped on the twitter bandwagon yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that recipe bookmarked! Looks great.

    I feel sort of the same about twitter. . . I am on it (for now), but always wonder, "who is going to want to read this?" when I post. But I do see the addictive appeal of it! (PS I'm following you) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kiersten,
    You should definitely try this dish - it's so good.

    Ricki,
    Twitter's been giving me a hard time and not letting me tweet or follow anyone new! (I was following you already before this problem.) I know they had some problems yesterday but I still seem to be cut off. Not that I have anything to say, anyway. It makes me feel a little silly but you're right about the potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm... potlucks. for some reason I've only been to ok potlucks recently. hopefully my luck changes.

    I've had a caprihana before, but I didn't like it. I almost spit it out - maybe not enough sugar to cover the sweaty taste of the liquor. I'm more of a mojito type.

    I love the chili lime tofu from yum yum. It's been a long time since I've had it, but I remember dry frying all of that tofu :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bethany,
    Mojitos are delicious but I really do love Caipirhinas, too. Maybe it's because I like tart flavors more than sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for my bad english. I would like to get updated with you new posts as I love to read your blog. Add me to your mailing list if you have any.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!