October 01, 2012

Gone Pie / Vegan Cuts / gluten-free

I've seen countless reviews of Gone Pie's fabulous treats here, here, and lots of other places, too, on the blog, A Soy Bean. You might say that Ms. Bean is obsessed with Gone Pie — and now I know why.  Seriously, reading Abby's Gone Pie reviews is almost (almost) enough to make me want to move to New York City. When Melisser from Vegan Cuts offered to send me some Gone Pie samples to review, I was more than delighted. Ha, Abby, I can have Gone Pie treats, too!

When the box arrived a couple of days ago (with a personal note from Barbara at Gone Pie, noting our mutual association with Abby) it was all I could do not to unwrap everything and start tasting immediately, but I was mostly restrained so as to take a few photos before devouring the lot. And I managed to share with others as well — though not as generously as I would have hoped. One taste of my bounty, and I became distressingly selfish. I wanted it all. Sorry, friends and family. As you can see in the photo, I received several varieties of brownies, cookies, and something that at first looked like a cupcake but turned out to be a chocolate-covered peanut butter caramel cup.

What you see here is a chai nut brownie, which I generously shared with my husband. (What you don't see is the oh-so-delicious-I-ate-the-whole-thing simply fudge brownie that I ate by myself.) These are fudge-y, not cake-y brownies, and though I don't think anyone would suspect, they are also gluten-free, as was everything else I received. Deep, rich, delicious, chocolate-y, satisfying  brownies with a chai spice flavor. Get some. Might as well get the simply fudge and coconut brownies, too. It would be silly to choose just one kind!

This is a sesame peanut butter cookie — large, soft, chew-y, yummy, with a hint of coconut. All three tasters, including a four-year-old who snatched the remaining piece after eating her own, approved. Get some.

This is the peanut butter caramel cup. It's the size of a small cupcake, with a thick rim of chocolate and a smooth, creamy peanut butter caramel filling. I probably wouldn't have chosen one if I were selecting my own Gone Pie treats, and in fact, it was the last thing I tried, probably because I'm not the biggest peanut butter fan in the world. I like peanut butter but it's not my favorite food.

But, talk about saving the best for last. Who knew? If this were the only peanut butter cup I tried, I'd be a p-b cup fanatic. First of all, the chocolate outside was quite possibly the best chocolate I've tasted, and the mellow peanut-butter caramel center was wonderful. Get some.

Gone pie uses the highest quality, fair-trade, vegan ingredients available. And they specialize in gluten-free treats. Abby was right!


Are you familiar with Vegan Cuts? It's the vegan version of the daily-deal. From their Web site:

At Vegan Cuts, our goal is to make it fun and easy for our members to discover new vegan products and shop vegan.

Vegan Cuts is run by a vegan couple, John and Jill, who really want to see more people shopping with vegan ethics. A commitment to buying vegan food is a great start, but you can also make a positive difference by choosing vegan options when purchasing clothing, shoes, accessories, body care products and everyday household items. This is why Vegan Cuts features a range of vegan products and encourages members to shop vegan by promoting opportunities to save money while eschewing animal cruelty.

You can join their Web site to receive email notices of special offers, and you can follow them on facebook to keep up with news and deals. They also have a blog.

Gone Pie Vegan Bakery has been serving the NYC area for more than 25 years. Its fabulous products are available in local natural foods stores and by mail.

Full disclosure: I was sent a sample pack of Gone Pie products by Vegan Cuts for the purposes of a review. All enthusiastic opinions are my own.

30 comments:

  1. Wow, how lucky are you?!! That's one heck of a bounty. And it looks like every decadent calorie was totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Totally worth it. I'll eat nothing but kale for the next six weeks.

      Delete
  2. Andrea, I'm THRILLED that you participated in this review and that you enjoyed everything as much as I've always suspected you would. I haven't blogged GP for MoFo yet, but here's a sneak peek: VM doesn't like peanut butter things either, but she LOVES those caramel peanut butter cups like nobody's business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Abby, I'm glad I finally got to try Gone Pie after reading so much about it on your blog. I don't hate pb or anything, I just rarely choose over something else.

      Delete
    2. I love that you knew it was me even though I came up as "unknown" LOL

      Veganthropology once recognized VM IN PERSON even though I always cover her face with a smiley face (or donut) on the blog.

      Bloggers rule.

      Delete
  3. And to think you almost didn't share. It's a good thing you shared even though I didn't get any, because you don't want a tummy ache on the first day of MoFo. Do you? No siree, not with a lot more great things that you'll post about. Great pics too.
    These look mighty delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Andrea! I was really excited to find you on the list Melisser sent me. I loved that we kind of knew each other!

    The real, honest to goodness, truth is that I almost didn't make a label for the simply fudge brownies. I was concerned they were just too plain to sell. But I dressed them up with that rad GREEN label and I sure am glad I did.

    I really appreciate you taking the time to taste everything. Sounds like it wasn't too much of a hardship! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went after the plain brownie first! I like my treats unadorned. But I liked everything in the box. Everything

      Delete
  5. Also. I forgot to mention. The amazing chocolate I use is from Sweet Earth Chocolates (who are apparently changing their name to Mama Ganache)and can be found at sweetearthchocolates.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info. The chocolate was amazing.

      Delete
  6. Wow. I have never heard of Gone Pie, but I am very very very jealous, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like these, Courtney.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know about these yet, either. Thanks for the review! The difference with me is - the pb cup would have been the first thing I tried. I'm glad you confirmed what I would have surely wanted to believe. I also love fudge-like brownies the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put gone pie on the list for your next trip to NYC. There's more to sweets than donuts. :) Also check out Abby's blog for lots of NYC reviews!

      Delete
  8. Yeahh! So glad you (and other people now on VeganCuts) got to try the Gone Pie stuff!! I lusted after Abby's posts too and then she sent me a coconut brownie from them in a swap and it was FANTASTIC.
    I actually saw the Gone Pie deal on VC this morning and hesitated for about 5 hours but I finally bought it. Too good to pass up. And G has a birthday coming up, so maybe I'll be forced to share. Which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on when G's birthday is. You want to eat it while it's fresh. :) But you live in New York, can't you buy this stuff whenever you want?

      Delete
  9. That's great! I've been wondering about the Gone Pie stuff (I've seen it advertised on Vegan Cuts a bit as well)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just eyeing these treats on Vegan Cuts yesterday! I think I need to give in and try that peanut butter caramel cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be sorry. The chocolate is amazing.

      Delete
  11. Peanut butter caramel cup, please!! Stat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, it all looks good, though I think I'm partial to the peanut caramel cup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd say this, but me too!

      Delete
  13. I think it would have taken you too long to get here! I wish I could, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay another GF vegan dessert company! You don't like PB that much? Well I guess we can still be friends. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gone pie has been baking vegan treats for 25 years but may be relatively new to mail order.

      I like peanut butter when it's in things like cookies or peanut sauce but not so much by itself. So I guess we're still good.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!