October 30, 2009

Speculoos smoothie, veganmofo 2009



When I was a child, once a year my mother used to buy ginger snap cookies in an rustle-y orange paper sack. These cookies were only available in October. They were large and flat and crackled on top.

They seemed very hard and crunchy on the outside but when I started chewing them, they got tacky, and stuck to my teeth. My mother and I loved these spicy cookies, looked forward to them every year and lamented the fact that we couldn't buy them whenever we wanted.

I would open the bag and inhale their spiciness. The fragrance was so strong I could almost taste the cookies before they touched my lips.



Today I added speculoos spice blend and a small amount of agave nectar to my almond milk-banana-mango smoothie, and when I took my first mouthful, I heard the rustle of that orange paper sack, smelled the gingersnaps, and saw my mother's smile.

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! I'm going to make that smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow--thanks for the link to the spice blend! It sounds fabulous..what a lovely and seasonal mix! And I just happen to have everything on hand...I am making some now!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mihl,
    Thank you so much for providing that spice blend!

    Courtney,
    The spice blend is special. I think you'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh I love when there's a story behind a food, especially if it's a special smoothie. Ginger snaps would DEFINITELY go well with you blend. Your momma is a genius!! Thank you for recreating it and sharing the memories with us. :) I would love to try this at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a touching post.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Michelle and Kiki for your thoughtful comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I thought you'd blended some cookies into your smoothie. . .though, hey, that wouldn't be all bad! Looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy crap, does that sound amazing. I've been really into smoothies lately, so I'll have to try making one like this too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm I love love love spekulaas cookies!!! Having a dutch Dad they were a big part of my childhood. The only vegan one's I can find though are full of hydrogenated oils :( Thank you for a link to a spice blend that I can now make anything taste like them! Yum!! I love the addition to a smoothie too. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ricki,
    No cookies -just the spice mix. :)

    Hannah,
    I've been making so many I have to mix up another batch of spice mix.

    Vegetation,
    I've never actually tasted the real thing but this spice blend tastes great to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Andrea's easy vegan cooking. I love, and read, all of your comments! Please share your thoughts.

There are a few Amazon links in the posts. Thanks in advance if you click on one.

Note: ALL THE IMAGES FROM THIS BLOG WERE ACCIDENTALLY DELETED ON 1-21-12. I'M RESTORING THEM, POST BY POST, BUT IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. Recipe pages you visit may be missing photos, but all the text in intact. If you find a post without images, let me know so I can fix it. Thanks!